Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Godfather 2

Francis Ford Coppola definetly created a masterpiece with "The Godfather", the most famous history about italian mob families. Based on a novel by Mario Puzzo, this film is an inmortal classic, not only for the monsters of acting involved (Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Diane Keaton, Robert Duvall,James Caan), the excellent history and the great direction. No , this film merges all this things and makes a movie that will be watched over generations and bring the same feelings over and over again to it's watchers.

I consider this one of my favorite films and have watched it like a dozen times. However, I beleived that the sequels of this movie were simple films made because of the success of the first one. I watched Godfather 3 and thougth that was good but not even close to the original. Then the second one was passed on TV, but I never got to see it complete, because it was too long (That was what I Thougth). But this weekend I saw it on a DVD shop and said to myself "let's see it once for all". Guys I have never underestimated a movie so much like this one. This is definetly a worth sequel for the first one, especially because of the "flashbacks" that bring the story of how Vito Corleone got to the top of the mob world.

Vito is interpreted by an enormous Robert De Niro, which for this paper won an Oscar. The history of Vito alternates with the events that came after the first movie, with Michael Corleone as the leader of the family and his attempts to bring family businesses to legality.

When I finished to watch this movie, I felt very impressed because of Al Pacino's acting, it was so powerful that I even got to feel what Michael Corleone felt after killing his own brother (Sorry for the spoil :( ). Don't missunderstand me, De Niro was excellent at his perform and he deserved his Ocsar, but Al Pacino showed in this film that he is a master of dramatic interpretation.

The film is 3+ hours long, but beleive me, every second is worth watching, if you haven't seen it, take my advice and rent it, or better buy it, because this is a film every 7th art lover must have. I still consider the Godfather to be the best of the three, but the second part is definetly on my "Best of all time movies" list.

1 comment:

Mafalda said...

“Monday, Tuesday, Thursday” ... is it true that The Godfather compiles everything you need to know in life?
I mean, this movie must be incredible in order to compel you to recommend buying it!!(of course I assume you mean buying the original DVD). This is a big breakthrough, congrats!